Simple title for a simple recipe.
I can’t believe I haven’t put this up yet because this is a basic however it isn’t as easy as a chocolate cake may seem. Yes it’s just chocolate cake but the texture is key! Not doughy, not dry, not too crumbly and not wet…you want it moist, airy and yummy for seconds not sickly to stop. Well shut the hell up and let’s bake!
Sweety rating: Medium (go for more!)
For the cake:
- 230g Butter (softened)
- 230g Sugar (caster or granulated)
- 4 eggs (trust me it’s 4 so don’t put in 2/3 thinking 4 is madness)
- 180g Self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder (not hot chocolate I mean the baking kind)
- 1 level tspn baking powder (don’t ask “what’s the point of self-raising then”)
For the filling and topping:
- 350g Icing sugar
- 75g cocoa powder
- 100g butter (softened)
- A dash of milk to mix (depending how creamy you like your buttercream)
- You can put whatever you like on top as long as it’s not meat, paper or animals as I won’t allow this as it is wrong to eat paper, chocolate covered cats and sweet meats…sorry to go there.
- Electric/ hand-held mixer or just your inner strength with a wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Large metal spoon
- Metal skewer for testing cakes
- 2 x 20cm round metal cake tins (for sandwich cakes) which are greased with butter and lined with parchment/greaseproof baking paper
- Hawk eyes to watch that cake!
Preheat oven at 180 (gas mark 5)
Sorry about the photography but I got my camera back!!! Yaaaaaayyy!
Hope you enjoy making this as much as I did eating it!